Carrier symptoms

Join Ed and colleagues for a monthly discussion on all topics related to cystic fibrosis and the CF Trust

Carrier symptoms

Postby laurafengland » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 16:11

Hi my niece has CF and I am a carrier of delta f508.
Both my Mum and I have always have quite serious digestive problems
I was taken off milk as a young child and cannot not tolerate cow's milk.
My Mum also has asthma, a persistent cough and low weight. I have seen
on many forums and websites people with similar and worse symptoms as well as being carriers. I realise these symptoms are nothing compared to CF but my Mum really suffers and is constantly ill with her stomach or chest and I seem to be getting worse. She has tried everything and been to the Drs regularly. Nothing has helped with her stomach and inhalers have little impact on her chest. I was wondering if it is now becoming a concept that carriers can be symptomatic and if so if any one has tried any treatments? Particularly for digestion? Thank you.
laurafengland

Query on CF carriers

Postby lbanks » Fri 16 Nov, 2012 10:20

Hi Laurafengland

I have passed your enquiry on to our helpline person as she might be able to help you with this. I will ensure that someone gets back to you.

Kind regards

Louise
Louise Banks, Senior Communications Manager, Cystic Fibrosis Trust
0208 290 7912
lbanks

Postby lbanks » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 09:34

We have asked a CF Clinician to answer you enquiry.
This is below:

True carriers do not suffer symptoms. If there are symptoms suggestive of CF it is worth investigating . We have sometimes found that people who were previously labelled carriers on standard testing from a few years ago may turn out to have unusual gene changes that can now be picked up on the latest testing. In other words it turns out they have a second gene change and actually have CF.

So on the basis of this I would go to your GP and ask for further testing to rule out you having full blown cystic fibrosis. If you have any further queries, please contact our helplnie on 0300 373 1000

Best wishes
Louise
Louise Banks, Senior Communications Manager, Cystic Fibrosis Trust
0208 290 7912
lbanks

Return to Ed Owen's Question Time