Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

This area is for parents and carers of people with Cystic Fibrosis to provide and receive support regarding CF issues.

Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Postby nixwilson » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:41

Hello,

A friend of mine's wee girl has contracted this (not the same as Foot and Mouth), apparently very common in little ones.

The thing is, my wee one played with her on Thursday (when sh would have been contagious) although they didn't share juice cups or kiss or anything (I don't let him kiss anyone, not even me). The only way to contract it is through saliva, mucas or faeces but am worried he will get it.

Has anyone on here ever had little one with it and if so, did it affect or interact with the CF in anyway (if you know what I mean)

Nic
Mum to Noah (4 years old wcf)
nixwilson

Re: Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Postby lollipop » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:50

I hve never heard of this before so I can't help about the foot and mouth

BUT

nixwilson wrote:(I don't let him kiss anyone, not even me).

so are you seriously saying you don't kiss your child who has cf :shock:
No offence meant here but surely you can't be serious!!!
lollipop

Postby nixwilson » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 13:06

He he he, I meant on the mouth :-) Of course I give him kisses on his face and vice versa :-)
nixwilson

Postby Moonstone » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 17:29

Hi Nix

My daughter picked up hand, foot and mouth disease at nursery when she was about 18 months old. It is highly contagious, and spreads very quickly. I'm thinking that if your son isn't showing any symptoms by now, then he's not picked it up the disease.

My daughter was fine with it, apart from the few itches from the rashes on her ankles and in between her fingers. CF-wise, there were no problems at all.

HTH :)

Alison
Moonstone

Postby nixwilson » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 05:44

Thanks Alison, glad to know don't need to worry with regards to the CF side of thing.

He had a temperature through the night and when I took his sleepsuit off, he had blisters on his arms and inbetween his toes, so am guessing he has it. Have an appointment with doc at 11 to confirm.

What treatment did your daughter have?

N
nixwilson

Postby camerons mummy » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 08:19

i was told that it is in the contageous stage befor it is diagnosed once the rash comes out it is no longer contageous cameron had it he just had a slight temperature and a red rash on his cheek other than that he was well. but it is very contagous and spreads like wild fire.

hope this helps
Im a mum to cameron 8 wcf and sophie 6 wocf

face book http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?
id=562803082&ref=profile
camerons mummy

Postby Moonstone » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:24

Hi Nix

Sorry to hear your wee man has contracted it.

My daughter didn't have treatment specifically for the hand, foot and mouth disease, I think I just gave her calpol and rubbed clamine cream on the itchy rashes. It cleared up in about 3-4 days.

She passed it on to me, and I had ulcers in my mouth and the pharmacist just gave me mouth ulcer gel to ease the itch.

Alison
Moonstone

Return to Parents and Carers